Tanner Pochipinski Skates His Way to Success

Tanner Pochipinski pursues high level hockey in Canada.

Tanner during his Coronado hockey career.

Conor Strizich, Staff Writer

Last year, our fellow cougar and our friend Tanner Pochipinski left Colorado Springs to play hockey in Canada.  Though Pochipinski only played on Coronado’s hockey team his sophomore year, he has left a positive impact on the team and on the school.  In the 2015-2016 season, he led Coronado’s team to a strong start with two wins to begin the season, as opposed to the previous year (2014-2015), where Coronado had only one win in the entire season.  Tanner Pochipinski played a key role both on and off the ice in leading the team to a strong season.

“Playing [in Canada] is much more intense and competitive because hockey is a big deal to everyone here. Hockey is a part of school in this league and you get credits for playing.” said Pochipinski.  When students play for credits, the program becomes much more competitive, which proves to be more exciting for Pochipinski.

This season, the Cougar hockey team earned a spot in the playoffs for the first time in 13 years.  Though Pochipinski no longer plays for the team, his leadership and hard work has had a lasting impact.  

“I miss playing with my friends at Coronado, but I am honored to have this opportunity in Canada” said Pochipinski.

Not many teens earn the opportunity that Pochipinski has, but he continues to be humble about his accomplishments.  His old teammates from Coronado describe him as “devoted” and “passionate.”  

“Tanner helped us find confidence that we are a good team, and that we could win games.  Tanner is devoted to hockey which lead him to go to Canada to advance his hockey career.  He wanted to win every game and would compete until the end,” said Andrew Burton, a Junior on the Coronado hockey team.

Pochipinski has already accomplished many of his goals regarding hockey, but in the future, he would love to play in college if the opportunity presented itself.  His great attitude has earned him many opportunities, and us students here at Coronado are excited to see where else his hockey career will take him.  Good luck Tanner!