Phillip Cyprian is Awarded the Daniel’s Fund Scholarship

The Coronado senior will attend college under one of the nation’s most prestigious scholarships

Senior Phillip Cyprian poses with his Daniels Fund congratulations letter.

Senior Phillip Cyprian poses with his Daniel’s Fund congratulations letter.

Isaac Ross, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Congratulations to Coronado senior Phillip Cyprian for being awarded the prestigious Daniel’s Fund Scholarship!

Out of over 2000 applicants and after an extensive application process including heavy documentation and an interview before three panelists, Philip prevailed and will be headed to college in the fall with the Daniel’s Fund Scholarship supporting him.

The scholarship is an annually renewable fund which, according to Phillip, covers the entire cost of his education, including tuition, room and board, and books. He has not totally decided yet, but plans to most likely attend either CU Boulder or Northern Arizona University. At either school, his plans are to study Pre-Med and upon completion of his undergraduate studies, enroll in medical school and become a psychiatrist post-graduation.

According to the Daniel’s Fund website, the application process seeks specific attributes including:

• Strength of character
  • Leadership potential
  • Willingness to give back to the community
  • Academic performance or promise
  • Well-rounded personality

Philip explained that  everybody’s “academics are hard, so the interview is important, because there are 2000 applicants,” because of that, “it’s really just your story.” According to him, most all of the applicants and the finalists in particular are all pretty similar in that they have all taken rigorous course loads and been involved in their community, so the interviewers look beyond that. “I’ve had a lot of obstacles and that’s what shapes you as a person” he says, “You just hope they’ll see why you are who you are.”

Phillip’s accomplishment marks the second time in two years that a Coronado student has won the Daniel’s scholarship, Evan Torres won the accolade in 2016.

Congratulations Phillip! Coronado is so proud of you!