Coronado FCCLA Recieves Gold at State Competition!

The state competitions in Denver gave Coronado’s FCCLA chapter their well deserved advancements to nationals, taking place this July.

Mohss Elaine, Staff Writer

Last week, Coronado’s Family, Career, Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) chapter traveled to Denver for their state competition. Members Leta Graves and Jess Arra competed in the “Focus on Children” event, and Victoria Valenzuela, 12, and Kaitlyn Pottger, 10, competed in the “Career Investigation”, both duos bringing in silver. Sophomore Rylea Baumberger presented in “Career Investigation”, receiving first place gold and qualifing for nationals, taking place this July!

Valenzuela, a State Officer, has spent many hours representing Coronado and Colorado at both state and national events, as well as mentoring other FCCLA members. She received recognition at the officer reception in Denver, and will be majoring in film studies in the fall at the University of Denver. Mrs. Sveen was awarded FCCLA Colorado’s Outstanding New Advisor for 2017, and will be traveling with Rylea Baumberger to Nashville for the FCCLA’s national competition, representing both Coronado and Colorado.

Mrs. Sveen, a teacher here at Coronado said “This year’s FCCLA State Competition in Denver proved to be a great experience for Coronado’s members. Students had to opportunity to network with other members from across Colorado, gain knowledge about traffic safety and career opportunities as well as compete in STAR events. The event as a whole was a positive experience for all involved and I encourage other Coronado students to join FCCLA for the same opportunity next spring.”
This is another one of Coronado extracurriculars’ many accomplishments, and these students are what make Coronado continue to stand out and excel both within the Colorado Springs community and within our state! If you would like to participate in these events next year, get in contact with Ms. Sveen now or at the beginning of the fall semester. Congrats to FCCLA on another great competition season and good luck to Rylea at nationals!