Eloquent Objects

Georgia O’Keeffe at the Fine Arts Center

Georgia OKeeffes painting Yellow Cactus is available for viewing in the Eloquent Objects Exhibition.

Georgia O’Keeffe’s painting “Yellow Cactus” is available for viewing in the Eloquent Objects Exhibition.

Kathryne Kelly, Co-Editor In Chief

On Sept. 14, the third period art classes, composed of both Honors and Regular Painting, Freehand Drawing, Photography, and AP Studio Art, took a field trip to the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center to visit the Georgia O’Keeffe exhibit, “Eloquent Objects.” O’Keeffe is famous for her up-close paintings of flowers and her Southwestern still life compositions.

The exhibit showcases paintings by O’Keeffe, and those of other artists whom she influenced or who influenced her. The downstairs entrance to the building currently holds a piece by the local artist Karen Khoury, which is inspired by her interpretation of Georgia O’Keeffe and her work. This piece leads visitors to the upstairs gallery, where the main exhibit is located.

The first gallery is dominated by O’Keeffe’s Southwestern paintings, such as her piece “Deer Horns”. The second gallery holds pieces inspired by her flowers, and the third shows a brief film about her early life and career. Across the hall, visitors can view her painting “Dark Iris No. 1”, the sole O’Keeffe that the Fine Arts Center owns.

The exhibition tour will be available until Sept. 20. Tickets to the Fine Arts Center, located at 30 W Dale Street, are $15 for students and docent-led tours are available on the weekends.