Coronado Art

A+very+talented+student+draws+in+the+4th+period+advanced+art+class+taught+by+Ms.+Foos.+

Amaya Wybrant

A very talented student draws in the 4th period advanced art class taught by Ms. Foos.

Amaya Wybrant, Staff Writer

“The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance.” – Aristotle. Ms. Foos, the painting teacher for the Coronado high school art department, is doing exactly that. She teaches her students to find inspiration for art all around them in everyday life. She teaches students how to look beyond the surface and look deeper into how much of a role individuality and creativity play in art. The art room is an atmosphere designed to help students utilize their creative potential in a fun way.
According to the Good News articles from February of 2020, a year ago Coronado students won 11 out of 16 of the awards given to students in varying grades by the Air Academy Federal Credit Union. The award winners received scholarship money, totaling in over $1300 altogether. The art programs at Coronado not only give kids a safe place to express themselves, but they also provide students with multiple opportunities to show off their work and turn their artistic passions into a career.
“I really do encourage kids who are doing things that are great, to have their work seen because its visual art… I’m pretty proud that these kids are able to win the awards with their artwork.” Ms. Foos says. After school art clubs, taught by Ms. Foos, Mr. Magnuson, and Ms. Carnevale will be running, giving students the chance to create and show off their work.