Nurse Tips for Emergencies

Recovery position

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Recovery position

Nyla Fowler, Staff Writer

By Nyla Fowler

How would students deal and react with someone having a physical emergency at school? People don’t really know how to deal with certain situations without freaking out in the process, so to avoid that, here are some tips when someone around you has seizures, faints, and allergic reactions.

Seizures can be very scary for everyone but no one really knows when they come, or they may feel it coming at a certain time. When they do happen there are rules and Nichole Mills, nurse of Coronado high school, stated, “Respond in the way that you would want students to respond if it were you, and [don’t] record or videotape the situation because it can be really embarrassing. Staying back and letting your teacher take control of the situation [is best]. If there isn’t a teacher, someone will have to step up and be the leader of the class, staying with the student as someone calls for help.”

According to Ms, Mills, students can help in certain situations by “getting everything away from them including moving all the desks, backpacks away from them and someone can take off their sweatshirt and cushion the head so there are no head injuries so they are not hurting themselves. Even when someone just passes out, make sure they’re not hanging out of their desk, just put them on the floor.” How does Ms Mills handle the situation when she gets there? She states, “I ask all the students to leave the scene. Go to the student and figure out if they can talk, if they can breathe, [are] they breathing, did they take anything, did they vape, or take something that may have triggered their body to have a seizure. Then I think ahead to call parents or do we need to call 911.”
She also provided information on how to deal with an allergic reaction: “When they know they ate something that they are allergic to, they need to let their teachers know immediately and rush down to the nurse’s office. We monitor them closely, and after that we call the parents.”

Anything can happen in a classroom; it may not be often or realistic to people but it can happen at any moment. But students should know how to stay calm and considerate when it comes to emergencies in the classroom, including respecting their privacy.

What to do during- Seizures, Pass outs…
1.Stay Calm
2. No Recording
3. Put the person on the floor
4. Stay back and letting your teacher take control
5. Someone call for help
6. Get everything away from them including moving all the desks, backpacks etc..
7. Cushion the head
8. Get everyone out the room for the nurse (teacher stays until nurse comes)

Allergic reaction
1. Let their teachers know
2. Come down to the nurse’s office
3. Call parents from the nurse’s office