The Boys Soccer Team Takes the Field Once Again

Erin Gray, Editor

The Coronado Boys Varsity Soccer Team fought hard Tuesday night against Cheyenne Mountain, but did not find themselves a win on the Garry Berry Turf. The first half started slow with both anticipation and excitement building in the crowd as Cheyenne Mountain and Coronado traded attacks. However, the Cougars finished the first half down by one.
By the starting whistle of the second half, the Cougars regrouped and put their foot on the gas. The ball started to move quicker, and it was clear Coronado was not giving up the hunt for a comeback. There were a few solid opportunities for the cougars throughout the 80 minutes, but a solid back line from the Red-Tailed Hawks prevented the ball from finding the back of the net.
Post-game, Nathan Leveille, senior, commented that the cougar’s downfalls were the lack of possession and high rate of turnovers in the midfield. The style of play that they usually play is possession based, so when they struggled to remain patient and keep the ball, Cheyenne was able to capitalize. Along with this, Nathan Hurt, senior and captain, felt that Coronado’s offense was solid but not strong enough yet to go up against the 6-man defense that Cheyenne had set up.
Coach Yeh, also gave credit to the Cheyenne Mountain defense and paid compliments to Coronado’s as well. He talked about how well he thought they did, especially being the first game of the season, and is looking forward to seeing what is in store for Coronado this year.
The final score was 3-0 after Cheyenne Mountain was able to find a couple runs in behind the defense, and an unfortunate tackle from Coronado in the box allowed a penalty kick that was buried in the right corner of the net.
Cheering and shouting for their fellow Cougars was a good group of freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors alike; all of which were dressed head to toe in red gear for the “Red Out” theme. With just a spirit stick and their voices, they encouraged the boys and gave energy all 80 minutes.
Although the cougars ended with a loss for their first game of the season, they are confident that it does not set the tone for the season. They are excited to show out for the fans and have high hopes for making it to the playoffs.
#394, Straight News