Procrastination in Students

Alexandra Micci

Procrastination in Students
By Allie Micci
Procrastination is a huge problem, especially in school. Students will procrastinate until their grades are on the line and start to drop, especially with our new late work grading system, and even more when students play sports. The reason kids procrastinate could be anything such as depression, lack of motivation, and other issues. Yet there are ways to help stop procrastination and people to talk to that care.
Typically, the end of the quarter is always the “hot spot” of assignments for teachers, mostly because it is a popular time for most students to turn in all their late work. Procrastination doesn’t always have to relate to school either. Work, jobs, and even everyday chores can be affected too. Mr. Hoffer, one of the Social Studies teachers at Coronado High School, states, “Procrastination leads to kids being even more behind in class, then leading to bad mental health.” According to Solving Procrastination, common causes of procrastination are being overwhelmed, perfectionism, or even fear of failing. The effects of this can be low academic performance, less learning time, and less motivation in school.
Procrastination is so common that 80 to 95 percent of college students procrastinate on their schoolwork. Anyone between 14-29 years tends to procrastinate the most, showing that anyone from freshman in high school to seniors in college can procrastinate the most. There are side effects from frequent procrastination as well. The stress can lead to sickness, bad mental and even physical health. If students really struggle with procrastination and organization, come visit our lovely counselors at Coronado High School; Amber Bjork, Catherine Doyle, Cody Eden, Nathan Holm, Deric Mann, and Vanessa Vatalaro.

#282, Editorial