Cougars at the Cross Country State Meet

Erin Gray, Editor

The Boys Cross Country team clinched the Southern CSML Regional Title, punching them a ticket to the State meet. Along with them, Erin Gray and Macy White both individually qualified for State by placing in the top 15 at Regionals.
After a long and successful season for both the girls and boys teams, it was time to end with a bang at the State Championship Meet. At 1 o’clock in the afternoon, the start gun went off for the 4A girls race, marking the beginning of Erin and Macy’s last race together. They went out hard, and competed well, earning 32nd place and 81st place respectively. It was both of their first times qualifying for State, and a great senior send off for Erin.
Not long after, the 4A boys were lined up and ready to go at 2:20, the last race of the day. Parker Davidson and Boston Potts stuck together and ended up placing 23rd and 27th. Following close behind was Xavier Campos in 48th, Spencer Stepp in 57th, and Bridger Steiner-Smith in 60th. Another impressive freshman finish was Hyrum Pontious in 76th, and the Coronado Boys finished with Matthew Ledford in 83rd. This great team effort earned them 6th place overall, and is a stellar starting point for the boys, as they are only graduating one senior this year: Spencer Stepp.
With his thoughts on his senior season and the State meet, Spencer Stepp says, “It’s been amazing to have been a part of this team and to see how everyone has grown this year. I’ve been doing this since freshman year, and I don’t think I’ve been on a team quite like the one we have this year.” He also adds that he is “incredibly proud of the work we’ve accomplished this year” and has high hopes for seasons to come. Most of all, though, he talks about the cross country community and how valuable it has been for him these last four years.
The end of this season was one for the books, and there is a lot more success in the future for our young Coronado Cross Country team.