Girls Soccer Post Season Write Up

This+picture+is+Coronados+Girl%E2%80%99s+Soccer+Team+and+was+actually+taken+on+one+of+their+most+successful+games.++

This picture is Coronado’s Girl’s Soccer Team and was actually taken on one of their most successful games.

Nicole Olivas, Staff Writer

As the end of the school year approaches, the Coronado Girls Varsity Soccer Team’s 2023 season comes to an end. The girls accomplished many things and have a lot to be proud of. This is the first time in over a decade that the girls came close to a chance of going to playoffs. They finished the season 10-4, but unfortunately were two spots short of making the playoffs.

The team has many coaches, but they only have one head coach, Mr. Yeh, who actually plays soccer himself. He is also a Math Teacher here at Coronado and is loved by many of his students and his players. When speaking to some of the players, there were only good things to say, and they gave a whole lot of credit to him and the other coaches for being there this season.

One of the team’s players, Izzy Seaks, a senior, said, “I really liked the team; it was great this year. This season really helped me open up my social circle; I’ve actually played since 2nd or 3rd grade. I play soccer because it’s honestly just always been a big part of my life. I put a lot of time and dedication into this season; I practiced every day. Our season was pretty good actually, a lot better than last season. We have double-digit wins, so that was nice.”

When talking to another player, Elexys Trujilo, sophomore, some very similar responses were given. “I enjoyed all the games that we played and all the team bonding that we got to be a part of. My highlight of the season was when we were playing against Vista, I was playing goal and I got to see my favorite freshman make her first high school goal,” says Trujilo.

Asking players their reason to play gives a very different kind of view into the player and the sport, Elexys then said, “Soccer helps me with my communication skills and my bonding skills. I wasn’t going to play this year and I definitely think it was out of my comfort zone, but it helped me feel better about myself and what I was doing with my life. I am going to play next season.”

The girls have had an amazing season, and they had quite an impressive rise compared to previous years. The progress these girls have made was impressive. Their chances were extremely high, and they never gave up, but unfortunately just barely came up short,but that doesn’t detract from the best season Coronado girls soccer has had in the last decade!

Izzy Seaks, senior, on the left, and Elexys Trujilo, sophomore, on the right, gave the quotes in the article.