Fall Orchestra Concert

Katie Radzienda, Staff Writer

The first orchestra concert of the year took place on Thursday, September 8, in the Coronado auditorium. People excitedly bustled in to get to their seats to watch their loved ones play up on the stage. When 7:00 came, the concert began.

Coronado’s Symphonic Orchestra kicked off the show with the usual rigmarole that comes with a concert and a small speech made by their director, Mr. Paul Jacobson, followed by their first piece, “Afterburn”. With a whopping orchestra of 44 musicians, the sound resonated brilliantly in the auditorium. Their second and last songs followed after, “Isle of Skye” and “Perpetual Fiddle Motion”. With roaring applause from the audience, the symphonic group filed down the steps and the chamber orchestra took the stage.

The top group started off with “Scherzo”. The orchestra, despite being half the size of the symphonic, made their songs strong and defined. The traditional October concert tango, “Rhythm Dances” was a hit, and the concert closed off with a collaborative piece that was done with some brilliant wind players and percussionists from the band. “Die Zauberflöte,” translating to “The Magic Flute” in German, was fast paced, syncopated and an overall excellent piece. When the final chord was struck, the ensemble received a standing ovation.

“I had a great time! The performance was on fleek!” said Jacobson.

After the concert, the usual banquet with chips, chocolate confections and soda commenced. Students, teachers and parents alike gathered to discuss the first performance of the year.