2015 NHS Induction

Sam Strait, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, October 14, Coronado’s chapter of National Honor Society held its annual induction for new members in Coronado’s auditorium. The event was short, but it informed the audience about NHS’s standards and mission along with welcoming the new inductees. To start off the event, Deanna Cooper, 10, sung the national anthem.

Next, Mr. Smith, Principal of Coronado, and Kathryne Kelly, 12, President of Coronado NHS welcomed the inductees and audience to the ceremony. Mr. Smith highlighted the academic and volunteering achievements of the inductees, and Kelly spoke on the duties and expectations of NHS members.

When the two speakers had concluded, the Coronado Orchestra took the stage for a guest performance. The group of eight played “I Wonder as I Wander,” a short piece by John Jacob Niles, giving the audience a pleasant break between the speeches and the induction.

After the orchestra performance, the induction portion of the ceremony commenced with a symbolic candle lighting. Kelly and the other four NHS officers; Hannah Levy, 12, Adelita Aguire, 12, Reina Gonzales, 12, and Imma Honkanen, 12, each gave a few words and lit a candle. Then, seventy-one of Coronado’s sophomore, junior, and senior students were called onto the stage to be officially inducted into NHS. Each student was led to the stage by NHS adviser Mr. Gryboski. Then the student walked across the stage, shaking Mr. Smith’s hand and being presented an award and a pin by Kelly.

Once the induction was over, the NHS inductees and their families enjoyed snacks and refreshments outside the auditorium. And once the socializing was over, they left new members of the Coronado NHS family.