Mr. Richardson: The Perpetual Student

Mr. Richardson’s Teacher Interview

Shea Ward and Sierra Meisner

For the past 32 years, Mr. Richardson has been a familiar face here at Coronado. Maybe you have seen him in the hallways, been in one of his classes, or played one of the many sports he has coached. Many will agree that the beloved biology/anatomy teacher has made a great impact on their education.

Ever since he could remember, Mr. Richardson dreamed of becoming a biologist. Near the end of his college education, he was given the choice to either do research or become an educator. As you may have guessed, he favored becoming an educator. He then came to work as a biology teacher at Coronado, and has stayed here ever since.

After choosing the field of education, Mr. Richardson quickly realized he made the right career choice. He never wanted to do something boring, and in teaching, new students with new interests are always coming in.

“The brain is ever changing, so you have to change with it. As a teacher, I get hundreds of students, and I learn new things from them all the time. I teach science, today’s worlds is not only filled with science, but science itself will always change. Learning things isn’t just about memorizing subjects in school, to learn you have to like it and it should interest you. Learning should be fun that is why I chose to be an educator. I love to learn and I like to be a part of others learning experience”

The most important advice that he has for students is to never stop learning. He himself claims to still be a student to this day.

“Never stop being a student. Somebody can always teach you something. I teach the same thing constantly every day, every year, and yet there are always variations. There is a saying ‘is your glass half empty, or half full’ and I understand the phrase is taking about being positive. Though in another sense your cup should always be half full with knowledge. Your cup should never be overflowing, because when your cup is overflowing, they have a name for you. That name is deceased.”

Mr. Richardson is a favorite around Coronado, and the school benefits from having him here