Mrs. Barnett: The Shoe Enthusiast

Mrs. Barnett’s Teacher Interview

Garrett Cichello, Zack Pasquarello, Staff Writer

Mrs. Barnett is a math teacher here at Coronado High School. Mrs. Barnett started out as a math major in college and she also taught dance as a side occupation. Her experiences as a dance instructor prompted her pursuit in teaching. Mrs. Barnett has had many experiences throughout her teaching career. Many of these experiences have taught her things about dealing with students and the overall job of teaching math. When interviewed Mrs. Barnett shared some of her insight on the teaching field.

“My experience has taught me many things, patience being one of them. It has also taught me to get to know someone before you make assumptions.”

Teaching is not without its rewards, Mrs. Barnett enjoys seeing students succeed even when they were failing. She has seen many students who were struggling with their grades turn it around and come out of the semester fully understanding all topics and receiving high grades.

Throughout her time teaching, she has been provided with many memories that will make her laugh. One of her favorite memories of teaching was the time where two of her senior students hid her classroom chair in their car.

“I think they were planning to take it all around town and take picture of all the places it had been. They only returned it when they saw how mad I was that they had stolen my shoe chair.”

Being an experienced teacher Mrs. Barnett was able to provide some advice for students.

“It’s always better to start off strong because it is hard to dig yourself out of a hole. No matter how low your grade is, it can always be saved.”

Overall Mrs. Barnett was able to provide many interesting stories and tips. Mrs. Barnett intends to continue influencing the education of high school students for a long time.