Safety At School

How Coronado Protects Us

Safety At School

Shannan Craine, Staff Writer

Here at Coronado we have many policies to keep our staff and students safe. Everything from sexual harassment and racial policies, to scheduled drills, bully protection and staff personal security, we have all the procedures we need to be safe at school. Security guards patrol the school and we have one police officer issued to Coronado. They are the muscle of the school, they carry radios to communicate throughout campus and have weapons to help keep our school out of harm’s way and protected from intruders. District 11 has policies every student must follow, such as following the established District, school and classroom rules, respecting other students and their property. Student cannot make threats or harm others, and students cannot bring weapons to school.

I had a short conversations with our school’s police officer, Adam Romine, about the safety of our school. He pays attention to the people on campus that don’t belong, and a lot of adolescent trouble.

“I deal with a lot of kid nonsense, drugs, alcohol, and fighting mostly.”

But, Romine also helps kids with at home trouble and offers counseling to troubled students in need of help. He also trains the security guards periodically giving them the qualifications they need to use their firearms.

We can all do more to keep our school safe. Officer Romine explained how the teachers and students should be more prepared for real life situations such as a shelter in place.

“My one and only job is to find the bad guy, and get rid of the bad guy,” he said. We want to make sure everyone is doing their job when an emergency arises. A tornado drill is very different, he says, “The only thing during a tornado I can really do is hide with the rest of you.” During a fire, he says, “Well, I’m obviously not a fireman, but I would do anything to help students and staff, and try to locate the source of the fire to help the fire department in any way.”

His last advice to all of all is to stay alert and keep an eye out for trouble,

“There are only five of us, and hundreds of you. Students and staff are the best security we have.”

We can help keep our school safe by telling an authority figure if you see anything strange or wrong happening. We also have the anonymous report system called SAFE2TELL; you can give tips about any threatening behavior that endangers you, your friends, your family, or your community.

Keep our campus safe, Coronado!