Dress Code

Boys Shirts Causing Issues with Dress Code

Sierra Meisner, Staff Writer

At the beginning of the year, students at Coronado received basic dress code guidelines at registration. These are standard for all D11 schools and state that clothing must cover all undergarments and private areas of the body, clothing has to be of appropriate length (mid-thigh), and all clothing must be free of inappropriate messages. Students are voicing concern about the dress code, not for the rules themselves, but instead for how they are enforced. Around the campus it is not uncommon to see a girl in a mini skirt or spanks and boys sporting shirts with exposed women and provocatively dressed women or sagging pants with exposed underwear.

On one hand, most of the students enjoy the freedom of the dress code. Others, though, find it distracting and offensive.

Earlier in the year, showing too much skin was a majority of the problem. Now, on the other hand, the main issue is with the boys. The female students have especially expressed outrage over the boys’ over sexualized shirts.  The surprising truth is the boys are more often reprimanded than the girls.

“I actually talk to more boys than anything else saying that they need to turn their shirts inside out. Even the people on your clothes need to follow the dress code or it’s a violation.” Mrs. Arnell, assistant principal.

In fact, Mrs.Arnell alone talks to students daily, sometimes multiple students per day. This may seem very minimal considering the over 1500 students that go to school here at Coronado, but the large number of students is part of the issue. Because of this large quantity it is hard to find and address every single violation.

If the shirt is too offensive or obscene, students have the option of reporting it to a teacher or Mrs. Arnell.