Be You, But Better: Keeping Life Balanced

Studying- How do you do it?

Alaina Africano, Staff Writer

As we have talked about coffee and social media, there has been the definite message that moderation is important. Nothing should be done in excess and most things should be balanced with activities and other generally important things. As students, we have a lot on our plates. Managing classes, sports, clubs, and just life itself, our lives are full of things that demand our attention. As all of these things pile up one of two things happens when it comes to academics; you either over-study or under-study. Each has their separate effects and can take a serious toll on not only your grades, but your emotions.

Let’s look at under-studying first. Many students don’t find studying important. They do not have any real motivation or reason to study, so they simply don’t. In return, they deal with poor grades and a general air of not caring. This can have long term effects, as we all know, but are there any short term effects from not studying? There are not any proven short term effects, but it may play a role in attitude, overall happiness, and of course your outlook on the future. Not to mention being grounded or losing phone and video game privileges. Although this is a problem that needs to be addressed, there is another studying problem that doesn’t always get looked at, over-studying.

There are students all around the world, and in our own school of course, that have a crazy course load. They take multiple AP classes, are involved in sports, and may participate in clubs. These students do not have a quiet moment in their day and then go home a study for hours at a time to be prepared for the next day. As with under-studying, there are some pretty obvious effects; sleep deprivation, stress, and simply keeping up with the array of activities going on in their lives. Along with all of these side effects, there is more eye-opening evidence.

The truth of the matter is that cramming late at night will help you the next day, but when it comes time for mid-terms, you are going to struggle to remember what you’ve studied this semester. Long hours of studying are not effective at all. MIT suggests taking a ten minute break after every fifty minutes of studying. Another way you can study and retain information is by spacing out the material. Cramming in chapters of information at two in the morning is not an effective way to study, you are mentally and emotionally exhausted at that point and nothing will stick in your mind.

What can you do then to fix either over studying or under studying? Here are a few tips that will help with motivation, study habits, and effectiveness!

Under Studying

• Start Out Easy- Starting with an easy lesson will help you get motivated and help you gain confidence in what you’re studying!
  • Get Rid of Distractions- Go somewhere quiet and clean. Take only the things you need to study, no phone, tablet, laptop, or any other electronics.
  • Study with Yourself- Studying with a friend can be fun, but it can ultimately distract you from your goal and waste your valuable study time.
  • Don’t Forget To Give Yourself a Break-  After you study for about an hour, take a short 5-10 minute break and then go on to the next subject. Don’t get stuck on one class!

Over Studying

• Make a Schedule- Write out exactly what is going on in your life and give yourself a set time to study, this will help keep you organized and will help you study all of your subjects effectively!
  • Give Yourself Time- Instead of cramming every night or right before a test, space out your studying. Start about a week before and your information retention will improve right before your eyes!
  • Go Over Big Ideas- Look at your syllabus, notes, and other handouts to give you an idea of the main ideas and points that you have focused on. This isn’t a study replacement, but it will get you warmed up for what your going to be studying!
  • REST, REST, REST- One of the biggest issues over studiers face is sleep deprivation. To do well on a test or even just a quiz you need to have a well rested mind! Take the time to sleep well, eat well, and exercise well! Your mind and your body will thank you, and you will still ace your test!

The biggest point here is that you should, in fact, study in moderation just like with anything else. Allow yourself to have the joy of learning without overwhelming yourself to the point of tears or just complete lack of motivation. Enjoy being young, relax, and be you, but better.