Yoga is a Go!

Yoga may be the solution to all of your problems

Yoga is a Go!

Sierra Meisner, Staff Writer

Anxious about midterms? Stressed about quarter grades? The solution to your stress may be easier than you think. Studies have shown that yoga may be particularly beneficial to teens, providing an outlet for stress, a way to build concentration and focus and a new way to build muscle and stay active.

Physically it is clear to see the many benefits of yoga; strength, flexibility, improvement of posture, balance and body awareness. For athletes such as runners, this is a necessary component of their training routine as it provides core strength and flexibility.

“I really like yoga because it helps you recover from injuries and helps your flexibility and allows your body to recover more quickly from tough workouts. That’s why I like using it and I also like having our athletes using it” said Mr. Kane, a social studies teacher and coach at Coronado.

What many teens do not think about are the amazing benefits to the mind. In fact, according to recent studies by the British Psychological Society, yoga improves concentration of the mind and provides body awareness, which results in a higher overall physiological health. It helps memory and concentration as well, providing a possible boost in study skills. Yoga also helps by providing coping skills to those suffering from anxiety and depression and reduces the effects of traumatic experiences.

“It also helps relieve stress which is something that a lot of students tend to dwell on, especially during finals and midterms. Students get stressed during this time and yoga is a perfect way to just be quiet and also to be away from all the social media, which can help you to relax and calm down,” said Ms. Watson, an English teacher and coach here at Coronado.

Yoga has many benefits, especially to the students here at Coronado. If you want to learn yoga, there are many ways to do so such as a class which are typically open to all ages, or just learn at home using the internet, or even using a program on DVD. Even more popular among teens is the Down Dog app, which is available for free for both Apple and Android.