Trigger Warnings: Help or Hindrance

Jaidon Chilese, Staff Writer

If you’ve taken an English class you’ve had to do some reading, and you’ve probably noticed that many of the assigned books involve touchy and controversial subjects like violence racism and rape. Some people believe that these books cover topics that are to touchy for school, and that students should be able to choose alternative books. Others believe that students should study these books, because they cover a reality that can’t be ignored and that it is unwise to shelter students from aspects of what real life can be life instead of preparing them for it, and to change it.
Books like Of Mice and Men involve a lot of controversial topics, from racism to mercy killing, but they also carry important messages to learn from, and lessons that still contribute to life today. Some believe it is important for students to study these books because it is how students learn how to analyze, and learn to become free thinkers. It teaches students higher level thinking. It teaches them to think more deeply about the world around them. Should these important lessons be ignored because a student doesn’t like, or enjoy a certain topic?
Many of these books discuss topics that were once a part of the world, and it is important to learn from history. Many of the subjects in these books still affect the world today, and students will be put in a world where these topics do matter, and can not be ignored. It is good for students to begin to have an understanding of these subjects before they are sent fully into a world concerned with them.
Others believe that students should be aloud to choose to read on lighter subjects. Students can still learn higher level thinking and analyzing dealing with lighter and less controversial subjects, ones that students would feel more comfortable discussing and writing about. They don’t need to discuss violence rape, racism, and other controversial subjects in the class room to learn high level thinking. It could create an uncomfortable and undesirable situation in the class room for students who have different sets of world views.
Some believe that it doesn’t leave them ill prepared for life earthier. They believe that it should be up to the parents to talk with their children about certain topics. Some believe that schools are not well equipped to teach on controversial subjects, and that some teachers may impress their personal views on to their students, and that it may affect their teaching and the students’ learning as well as make them feel uncomfortable, and unsafe.