Harriet Tubman on the Twenty

Harriet Tubman on the Twenty

Sierra Meisner, Staff Writer

Harriet Tubman will now replace Andrew Jackson on the twenty dollar bill. Although many agree this is a big step for both women and for African Americans, it is causing some controversy.

Harriet Tubman was an ex-slave turned abolitionist and humanitarian. She was quite possibly the most well known and impactful conductor of the underground railroad. She was born enslaved, liberated herself, then returned at her own risk to free other slaves.  The underground railroad is not, as  Mr. Stoughton would like students here to note, a railroad located underground. It was a series of secret routes and safe houses used to help enslaved individuals escape to free states of the North and Canada where they would be liberated. Not only did she devote much of her life to this but she also was a spy for the North during the Civil War.

“I think that this is a major accomplishment for both women and minorities, especially since she had overcome slavery.” Said Ms. Essick, a history teacher, when she heard of the news.

There are some negative opinions regarding the change though. Some say that Andrew Jackson was our president, a self-made man of sorts, and deserves to have the spot on the front of the bill. It should be taken to account that along with the good things he did to improve our country he also committed atrocities. These include owning slaves and inciting the Trail of Tears, which removed Native Americans from their home land and forced them along a trek so strenuous and dangerous it killed many. It should also be noted that Jackson will not be removed from the bill, but instead placed on the back.

This is a great step for both women and minorities in America, and brings light to a darker period in our history.

In the words of Harriet Tubman, “Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”