The End of the ValeDictatorship?

Alaina Africano, Staff Writer

Numbers are important, especially for juniors and seniors in high school. Credit hours, SAT scores, ACT scores, volunteer hours, all of them have an assigned or desired number. One number, however, is desired more than the others among students. GPA. This number can be a deciding factor for many things, the most common being valedictorian. Grade Point Average determines class ranking and, in turn, determines valedictorian. This well known, and sometimes frowned upon, system may be undergoing a change in the near future. Coronado administration is seriously considering remodeling the GPA system in hopes to create a more diverse and well-rounded student body.

This proposal concerning the GPA ranking system would eliminate the coveted title of “valedictorian” all together, and replace it with a system similar to one used at the college level. The proposed system would focus only on class ranking, not GPA. Students graduating within the top five percent of their class would graduate with the highest academic honor summa cum laude, but those in the top ten percent of their class would still be recognized for their academic success at the next honors level, magna cum laude. Administration hopes this system will draw attention away from simply maintaining a GPA and shift the focus of students back to the power of learning.

Although AP and honors classes allow students to get ahead and prepare them for college, many students use them only as a way to maintain their GPA and high ranking within their class, hoping to become valedictorian. In this process, they often miss out on many classes that offer practical and important skills. Principal Smith said, “The world we live in today is very practical and is not about GPA.” He hopes this new system will encourage students to take more classes that aren’t honors or AP and expose them to different areas of education. He also hopes that this will lessen the amount of online and off-campus classes that also serve as a way to maintain GPA. Overall, this new ranking system should reduce the pressure surrounding GPA and allow students to explore different opportunities within the school system.

For students already in high school, don’t worry. This change will not go into effect until the class of 2020 starts high school. The proposal still has a long way to go, with approval still needed from middle school administration and parents. The ultimate goal is to maintain a competitive environment without putting any more unnecessary stress on students. Ideally, Coronado High School would encompasses a more comfortable and practical learning environment that prepares students not only for college, but for life.