Dutch Bros Phenomenon Sweeps Coronado

Despite being nutritionally lacking, Coronado students and athletes love Dutch Bros and its myriad of delicious drinks.

Dutch Bros Phenomenon Sweeps Coronado

Grace Abernethy, Staff Writer

A craze has swept across Colorado Springs leaving energized, but money depleted teenagers in its midst. Dutch Brothers, a drive-through coffee company based out of Oregon, has engrossed the attention of Colorado Springs, and it is not uncommon to see a line five to ten cars long on busy days. With fruity and savory teas, sodas, coffees, shakes, and more, the friendly faces at the four Colorado Springs locations keep people coming back. Whether you are deep into your Dutch Bros addiction or a newcomer on the trend, there are plenty of options to try.

Cougar Favorites:

Strawberry frost

Pumpkin pie frost

White chocolate chai

Pumpkin chai

Pomegranate raspberry rebel

Banaynay

Ninja frost

Raspberry coconut black iced tea

Mango smoothie

Coconut wildberry smoothie

Cotton candy frost

Peach green tea

Grapefruit blackberry soda

Some more unknown drink combinations are dubbed as the Dutch Brothers “Secret Menu”. To try these drinks, it is best to ask for the ingredient combination, not the name.

“The Cookie”: Annihilator with white chocolate

“Birthday Cake”: Dutch frost with whipped Almond roca, vanilla ice cream and white chocolate

“Bubblegum”: Dutch frost with vanilla, strawberry, banana

“The Volcano”: Dark chocolate cinnamon frost

Not only does Dutch Bros produce great drinks, why many people keep going is because of the exceptionally friendly employees. According to junior Maya Glaser, connoisseur of coffee, “The people there are really nice and care about your day.”

Dutch Brothers is unlikely to die soon, so as you move forward here are some tips to remember; go on the first of the month to get a free sticker, and make sure to get there early so they don’t run out. Happy hour is from 1 P.M.-3 P.M. all throughout October, where 12oz drinks are $2, 16oz drinks are $3 20oz drinks $4, and 32oz are $5. The four locations in Colorado Springs, S. 21st Street, Colorado Avenue, E. Platte Avenue, 1440 N. Circle Ave. Prices Range from $1.75 for a small tea to $3.50 for a small smoothie, so beware of wallet woes.

To also keep in mind is the nutritional caveat of the delicious drinks. Frosts, one of the most popular drink types at Dutch Brothers, are not strong in several key dietary areas. A medium of the shake-like drink costs you a quarter of your daily 2,000 calories, two-thirds of your daily cholesterol intake, ⅓ of your carbohydrates, and a whopping 97 grams of sugar. Way over the recommended limit, the drink’s sugar total is 300% greater than women’s recommended amount of added sugar, and over 250% of men’s. For perspective, to burn off the 528 calories you consumed you would need to run at a 10:00 mile pace for around 55 minutes.