Looking Back at the First Quarter

Tiffany Jacquez, Staff Writer

First quarter here at Coronado is usually the period when students decide for themselves what they will expect from school and from themselves as students. Perhaps there are people who have exceeded their expectations, and hope to continue this pace exponentially throughout the year, and there are those who have found themselves embittered by an unshakable dreariness that they thought they had left last summer. So, to address these people in particular (for there are many of you) the Cougar Daily would like to raise the questions: Can you continue with the pace to which you are pushing yourself currently? If not, how do you overcome the routine dread that high school can invoke?

“I regret making a [class] schedule towards something I do not want to pursue when I am older, but I feel that I have worked a lot harder than I have in the past” Hayley Currin, 10.

Many students in the same situation as Hayley regret having enrolled in classes that do not actually suit their interest.

To address the students who are either dissatisfied with their grades, or have parents that are discontented, the greatest thing you can do for your grades is to readjust from what you had done in the past to a more efficient work ethic.

For those who refuse to loosen up on their schedule of working 24/7, please do consider the value of having personal time. Balance is necessary to function correctly. You cannot give 100% percent of yourself constantly to schoolwork. Something has to give.

For the benefit of many unknowing freshmen, high school grades are accounted for only in semesters, so a quarter is considered more of a progress report. Second quarter includes two breaks, so the next half of the semester will appear to progress rapidly. Remember that there is still time for redemption if you are not satisfied with the work you were producing last quarter, but if you are already burnt out, consider some relaxation time.