The Help You Need is Out There

Sierra Meisner, Staff Writer

As the end of the semester grows near, the amount of stress on the students here at Coronado is increasing dramatically. Maybe the upcoming and heavy looming finals or college applications have you feeling down, or maybe a more personal problem is giving you anxiety. Whatever the cause may be, there are resources in our community for people struggling with depression or anxiety.  The stigma about depression is that there is no one who understands you, but the truth is there are plenty of others who have been where you are.  They know what you’re going through, and are here to help.

Sometimes depressed people have more trouble coping or do not take it upon themselves to get the help they need. For many teenagers who either are struggling themselves or are close to someone who is struggling, it can be a very scary time. There is a social stigma regarding depression and mental health as it is viewed as a weakness in the eyes of some. Although it is a rare occurrence, sometimes this stress can be enough to push an already struggling person over the edge. What they may not realize however is that one of the strongest things someone can do is stand up for themselves or someone in need.  If you or someone you know is having suicidal thoughts or is suicidal, there are many resources to get you the help you need in our own community.

One of the greatest resources for people who know someone who is suicidal is Safe2Tell. It is a completely safe and confidential way to get the resources or care you or someone else may need. You can report anything from weapons on campus, harassment, or most importantly, if you or someone you know is planning or trying to commit suicide. It is available 24/7 at the number 1-877-542-7233 and on the Safe2Tell app (available for free to both android or iPhone users).With a topic this serious it’s always better to be safe than to wind up sorry,

“Any information regarding a person you believe may be suicidal needs to be reported. I would rather wade through a hundred situations where the person turns out to not be suicidal in order to get to the one situation that’s really going to make a difference than to start saying ‘they just had a bad day,” said Mr. Bone, our counselor here at Coronado, who is yet another excellent resource for those in need.

If in dire need of immediate help, you can always call the Colorado Crisis & Support Line.

Callers are connected to a skilled, trained counselor at a crisis center in their area. It is available 24/7 at the number 1-844-493-8255.

For a lot of students here, this is a very hard time of the year, but we can make it through. One of the biggest responsibilities as a Cougar is to take care of and watch out for each other.