It’s Gender Neutral- A Bathroom for Everyone

The second all-gender bathroom in District 11 is finally open- in the basement of Coronado!

Gaby Stenholm, Staff Writer

To kick off the 2017-18 school year with an attitude of acceptance and inclusion, Coronado is proud to introduce the main building’s newest architectural addition- our first gender neutral  restroom! Since 2016, Coronado’s Future Problem Solvers team (FPS), in collaboration with the Gay Straight Trans Alliance (GSTA), has been working to fund, establish and raise awareness for District 11’s second all-gender restroom. Located in the basement of Building A, the restroom is at last accessible and ready for use, an occasion that has been long anticipated by many students.   

“There’s often a general fear around using public restrooms for individuals who may just present androgynously, and especially for transgender kids,” said Avery Young, 11, president of the GSTA.  “I think having this inclusion of those individuals just lets people know that this school is a safer place.”

For the past year, the FPS team has not only been working to establish the bathroom, but also to raise support for the LGBTQ+ community. The teammates, Josh Sun, 12, Connie Sun, 11, Diana Del Valle, 11, Gabrielle Stenholm, 12, Avery Young, 11, and Jacqueline Dunn gave presentations to promote the bathroom, wrote funding proposals, and traveled to Wisconsin in June to discuss the prospect of all-gender facilities with an international committee. In July, the Independent newspaper recognized the team for their efforts to make Coronado more accepting of all students. “I think that being inclusive just means you feel safe while doing something to better the LGBTQ community, and also the community at Coronado as a whole,” Avery added.   

On 8/21, 2017, the bathroom became completely available to any student or staff member who feels inclined to utilize it.  “Use the bathroom, it’s there for a reason,” says Avery, who feels that the facility is nothing more than ”a resource, one that’s there for everyone,” regardless of gender expression, identity, or sexual orientation. FPS hopes that this development will provide comfort and convenience to all students this school year, and for many years to come.