World Suicide Prevention Day- Made Possible by Coronado Students

Coronado students came together on September 10th to celebrate life and support those struggling with mental illness.

Gaby Stenholm, Staff Writer

This weekend, teens proved that there are few things in the world more powerful than coming together with positivity, understanding, and faith.  September 10th, 2017 marked the second annual World Suicide Prevention Day, hosted at the Warehouse COS by Gracie Packard, a student at Rampart High School, and Isaac Ross, 12.  About 150 participants arrived to hear stories of hope and enjoy an atmosphere of sympathy and strength.  Whether fighting through tough times themselves, attending in support of a loved one, or simply showing their compassion for their community, each guest gained a valuable experience.  The event aimed to “affect people positively, and make people more aware of how dangerous depression can be,” said Ivy Ross, 11, an attendee.  

Decked out in orange to represent hope, organizers and supporters alike presented powerful speeches about the harrowing trials of mental illness, and the courage of overcoming them.  The heartfelt speeches, poems and songs presented that night allowed viewers to gain “a new perspective on how people are affected” by mental illness, according to Ivy. Coronado senior Deanna Cooper performed a song with her mother, while organizer Isaac Ross, 12, gave a profound closing calling regular people into action, speaking to the power an unqualified individual can have in changing someone’s mind about suicide and self harm.

This event was for many an inspiring show of encouragement and furtherance of a noteworthy cause. Ivy hopes that this catalyst of awareness will be part of “a turning point” for those who are struggling.  Doubtlessly, the event has cast a memorable ray of light over a difficult topic.  Congratulations and thank you to everyone who took part this weekend in making the world a little brighter.