Students Beat The Heat With These Summer Jobs!

Mohss Elaine, Staff Writer

Summer has almost ended, so it’s time to look back and remember all of the exciting things that might have happened. Days at the pool, going on vacation, binging Netflix, and spending time with the people you care about. For many, however, their time is spent finding summer jobs. This could mean bussing tables or babysitting children. For a lucky few, summer jobs are more than average.

Garrett Cichello,10, worked at a horse ranch in New York. He helped customers get ready for horse rides, fit saddles to horses, and cared for the ranch.  “The job made me realize that I need to make sure I know what’s going on before I sign up for something. It was hectic at times, but it was a good experience all in all. As a life experience, it gave me a love for the outdoors again, and it showed me a taste of what I want to with my life, where I want to go.”

But his job didn’t come without bumps in the road, as Garrett hit quite a few challenges while working, both personal and business related. “It was funny, I didn’t expect not to be fed, and there was a lot of things I didn’t know were going to happen. I guess that means I have to pay attention before I sign up.”

Despite his lack of attention during his sign-up, Garrett still had a fun time at the horse ranch, helping to raise and care for horses.

Another student who has an interesting job is Twain Slayter, 10, who worked at HellScream Haunts preparing to scare the socks off visitors!

“I’ve learned how to act and do make up, and I feel like my creativity had reached a new level that I didn’t really see myself reaching. I saw that with more people coming in, I sort of had to step my game up as far as my reactions to customers and being scary enough to make the experience worthwhile.”

With Halloween slowly approaching, Twain has had to make sure he knows how to be truly fearful. “You have to act a certain way, and make sure you and the customers don’t get hurt. The lines get pretty extensive in terms of length. I just want to have the best experience and make sure others do, too.”

Along with working at HellScream, he got caught in some situations that he wasn’t expecting. “The lines are going to get really long soon, and I wasn’t really prepared for so many people to come in at a single time. I really wish the groups were spaced out more evenly, but I’m going to get used to it. The haunt community so is great, everyone’s accepting and it’s the best part of my week.”

Summer really flew by, and fall is fast approaching. Hopefully for those going into the workforce, it will be a fulfilling and exciting time!