Storm Stalls XC Success

Roman Sorrels, Staff Writer

As the sixth week of Cross Country came to a close, the junior varsity loses a meet, not to a team but to the weather. After a bus ride to Air Academy, runners were able to walk the course and prepare for their 5k race. Accompanied by retired coach Hugill who kept the the meet electric and and runners pumped for their race.  However lightning was spotted within 5 miles of the base, delaying the meet. No races could begin with the metal bleachers, large trees and high altitude surrounding the course, making the race unsafe for the time being. According to sophomore runner Mark Bloomfield “we were waiting inside or by the building, for the lightning to stop.” Most athletes remained inside the Air Academy halls and gym for the majority of their visit. The various attempts to proceed with the meet were only met with more delays and lightning. Unfortunately for the Coronado athletes who had been training for this race, the Air Academy meet was finally cancelled after almost two hours of sitting, standing and waiting. If the meet had not been cancelled, most runners would have “had no time to warm up before we could have run” says sophomore Bryce VanCaster. When athletes and staff were released, most made it back to Coronado right before the Powderpuff game and Cougar Coffee House began.

Hopefully the weather next week will be much better with Coronado’s own Cougar Classic this Thursday, the 21st, in Monument Valley Park. Races start at 3:00.

.