Roll a D20 With the Dungeons & Dragons Club!

Mohss Elaine, Staff Writer

Are you ready for adventure? Then Dungeons & Dragons Club is meant for you! Coronado’s Dungeons & Dragons Club was made to bring the classic role-playing game to the courtyard. Mrs.Smoot runs the club from 3 to 4 pm in the library every Wednesday. The club is set into three groups currently and is looking for more players and dungeon masters.

Spellcasting, combat, cooperation and a compelling story will determine your success in the game Dungeons & Dragons. Players will create in-depth characters with magic abilities to put themselves in the story. The Dungeonmaster creates the story or uses a pre-made story for the players to embark on, throwing all types of obstacles in their way, anywhere from a pigeon to a dragon. The game is played in a turn-based fashion, and is ideal for around six players for a single campaign, a campaign being a single storyline. The players are able to progress through the story as they please, and their most basic goal is to stay alive in a hazardous fantasy world.

Cassie Smoot has been in charge of the club since last year. “I was asked to sponsor a new club by a few students, so they could bring dungeons and dragons to the school. Playing Dungeons and Dragons is a hobby of mine, so I sponsored and I now run the club.” She’s been preparing the club for more players since the year first began. “We have about thirteen people every Wednesday, but we would love to have more come to the club. We had around twenty-three last year, but some of those students graduated and now we only have a small group. We’re always looking for more players, and we’ll always be looking for more Dungeonmasters, as there is only two or three right now.” The club is very self-sufficient but hopes that new players are able to come prepared or at least prepare themselves enough to start their adventure. “We can’t always supply people with the things they need, as the campaigns that are being run in the club are separated into groups, so there’s only so many pairs of dice and character sheets to go around. We have a few extra dice pairs. There are only a few things you need to start playing, so it’s no huge expense, but it’s good to come prepared.”

Marcus Cano,10, has been in the club since the beginning of this year. “The joy about the game is the fact that at any moment, anything in the story can change. The Dungeonmaster is basically the disembodied voice that everyone can hear, and that’s how people basically make their decisions through the game.” He prepared to start playing by creating his character sheet. “New players should start out with the character sheets and some dice, usually people have an extra set of dice so they’ll give you some dice.” Newcomers to the club will have to go through meticulous character creation and he describes the club as “The process of playing is so detailed that it makes the game more and more realistic as you get used to playing. The club is full of friends and it just makes the experience more fun for everyone, in and out of the game.”

Dungeons & Dragons are can bring people together in the oddest ways possible, both in and out of reality. With a game this close-knit, it’s hard not to build your own little community of people you’re ready to save the world with. Come test your skills in the Dungeons & Dragons club!