3 Tips to Banish Stress

Gaby Stenholm, Staff Writer

Once again, the end of the semester has rolled around, and finals, college and scholarship applications, and the anticipation of final grades and semester G.P.As are sure to be rearing their heads. It’s expected that almost every high schooler will be experiencing some stress this time of year- but that’s no reason to not practice some self care to reduce that anxiety.  Here are three tips to help you pick yourself up when the stress creeps in!

1. Eat Well

While it may be easy to grab a bag of chips or a package of cupcakes when you need to eat on the run, eating right is key to maintaining your physical and mental health. Fruits, vegetables, and high-protein meals are always a favorable alternative to sugary sweets. Not only do healthy foods keep you feeling more energetic throughout the day, but they also improve your brain’s ability to focus and learn. You’ll be less exhausted and in a better mood- and you’ll be less likely to get sick, which always reduces stress!

1. Get Outside

It can be hard to tear yourself away from the computer screen or take a break from studying during this busy time of year, but studies have shown that getting outdoors a few times a week can significantly improve your mental health and decrease your stress. Walking your dog, playing frisbee with friends, or even just enjoying the sunshine on your front porch while doing your homework can give you a serious mood boost. Even as the weather gets colder, you can still find fun outside by going for a chilly hike through one of Colorado’s many trails, which are beautiful this time of year!

1.  Try Not to Procrastinate

This is the tip that everyone knows to follow but so few actually do. While completing every assignment the day you receive it may be unrealistic, it will greatly help you to plan and manage your time. Even if that plan is simply to do five minutes of a project every night, when the deadline arrives you’ll have much more accomplished so much more than if you hadn’t started at all. Be conscious of the amount of work you have to do within a certain span of time so that you can be prepared before the morning all of your assignments are due. Write down this plan, and hold yourself to it! The feeling of accomplishment that comes with organization and forethought is sure to reduce your stress.

So there you have it- it’s a good idea to brainstorm your own personal stress relievers (and use them) as the semester wraps up.  Good luck, Cougars!