Women’s Basketball Bounces Back

Varsity Basketball improves their record to 4-4 after a win against Lewis Palmer High School.

Madi+Eurich+makes+her+way+around+the+court+contributing+to+the+score.+

Madi Eurich makes her way around the court contributing to the score.

Hannah Besse, Staff Writer

It was a tough fight for our Women’s Basketball team this Tuesday, 12/12, but they came out victorious over Lewis Palmer High School. The Cougars started off strong with a score of 11-0 and ended first quarter with a 16-4 lead, but the Rangers ended the half by clawing back to a 20-18 lead only allowing two points. They kept that lead through the third quarter with a 36-30 advantage over the Cougars.

However, Coronado rallied and made a strong effort to clench the win and reseal their early lead in the game. Fatinah Muhammad, freshman, lead the Cougars with 17 points while Madi Eurich, senior, hit two 3-pointers in the second half to give Coronado the lead once again, which left her with a grand total of 10 points.

“It was a really good game. We were out a few players, but other players really stepped up when they needed to which helped us get the win,” added Eurich.

The last quarter was spent going back and forth, the Cougars scoring and Lewis Palmer scoring immediately after, when Marisol Estrada’s contribution sealed the hard fought win. Estrada made a 3-pointer with only 30 seconds left in the game finishing with 12 total points, all in the second half.

The Cougars fought hard and proud to beat Lewis Palmer 51-49. Despite the deficit, Coronado overcame and got another win making the Women’s Basketball record 4-4.

With new head coach, Bryan Earls, and numerous freshman completing the varsity team, many were unsure of the outcome of the 2017-2018 season, but the Cougars have had many strong showings including hard fought losses and hard fought wins.

Come out and support your Coronado Women’s Basketball team next Tuesday, 12/19, at Vista Ridge High School, and hopefully see them crush the competition!