Chipotle in Times of Crisis

Avery Young, Staff Writer

Coronado’s International Awareness club aims to bring student attention to issues across the globe. This Tuesday, 1/9, the club is addressing the crisis in Puerto Rico with a Chipotle night.

Puerto Rico is currently undergoing a massive crisis in the wake of Hurricane Maria, with aid too little too late impacting much-needed industries. The hurricane has hurt communities in more way than one, with a humanitarian crisis leading to an internationally disastrous economic one. The rush of people leaving the area have left valuable manufacturing jobs integral to the success of hospitals across the globe stranded. Without the fabrication of medical supplies and prescription medications, the risk associated with hospitals everywhere can only grow.

Arman Mirhossaini, President of the International Awareness Club, hopes that the Chipotle night will make it feel like we at Coronado are able to make a difference, no matter how small. To do your part, visit the Chipotle on 370 Garden of the Gods Rd this Tuesday, 1/9, from 4-8 P.M. and say that you’re from Coronado. 50% of all proceeds will go to an undecided meaningful group dedicated to crisis aid in Puerto Rico.

In emphasizing the event’s importance, Mirhossaini said that “Puerto Rico is part of the United States and deserves more than the lackluster support they have received”. He hopes that this will improve student awareness and involvement within global issues. To get involved with both in and outside the Coronado community, visit the International Awareness club every Tuesday during second lunch in Room 401.