Be an Ally – Join the GSTA

The Gay Straight Alliance is open to all. It’s a great way to get more involved in both the school and community.

Maddy Morland, Staff Writer

In recent years, the Gay-Straight Trans Alliance has made a significant impact on Coronado as well as the Colorado Springs community at large. The club’s primary goal, however, is to create a positive space for its members. They attempt “to offer kids in any walk of life a way to get involved and a place to feel safe to talk about their experiences,” said club president, Avery Young. “Above anything we try to let people know that there’s always going to be accepted for who they are, no matter who that may be. It is important to be able to build that kind of community and give kids a sense of it before going out into adult life.”

Since Young took over leadership of the GSTA two years ago, the club has become more involved in both the school and local community. “To me, it’s all about fostering a community between a diverse student body,” said Young, adding, “that isn’t something that is achieved by any one person but by lots of people making whatever effort they can to show others that there are love and kindness in this world.” Under his leadership, the club collaborated with school administrators and the Future Problem Solvers club to install a gender-neutral bathroom. “The project we all poured our hearts into serves to represent the wonderful community and environment that has come about as a result of the work we do in giving students somewhere to be themselves and is a physical representation of that support.” Young said of the project.“It’s something that I can only hope will continue to grow and become more than I could have dreamed of” he concluded. In addition to bettering the Coronado community, the GSTA has also branched out into the community, hosting movie nights and donating proceeds to Urban Peak (a local youth homeless shelter).

Joining the GSTA is a great way to make a difference in the school and in the community at large. “We operate much like cougars care in that there is no pressure to attend meetings, we understand a busy life and even if you can only make it for 5 minutes our door is always open” said Young of the club’s easy going, welcoming environment, adding, “students should know that it’s never an obligation, only an option, and whoever comes will be welcomed with open hearts and open arms.” Young emphasized the support the club provides for its members, saying, “there is no shame and whatever experience you’ve had if you want to talk about it someone will be there to listen.”

The GSTA meets Tuesdays after school and is held in room 415. The club’s projects and activities are often long term, so if it is not possible to attend every meeting, it is still possible to stay informed about the group’s activities. A typical meeting could include anything from “gaymes” to discussions about current issues to planning projects. New members are always welcome to try a meeting out and see if the GSTA is something for you!