Cradle-to-Prison Stereotype Defied

The Educating Children of Colors Summit Was A Success

Gracie Nowlan, Staff Writer

The Educating Children of Color program is great opportunity to meet new people, join the community, and learn more about how to further your education This program provides students with numerous workshops and chances to apply for scholarships. Furthermore, students will learn more about themselves and the community they live in today. Since 2008, the Educating Children of Color program has awarded over $140,000 in scholarships and educational gifts. In addition, over 140 laptops have been given away. This program has aided students nationwide and will continue to “dismantle the cradle-to-prison pipeline for children of color and children in poverty through education.”

Two Coronado students, Ellis Sawyer and Josh Sun both attended the summit and give their take on it. When asked if they enjoyed their experience, Ellis responded, “I’d say so.” Both students said that they, “gained a little from it but, not as much as expected.” Josh explained that there were “a bunch of different workshops like a dance and rights session.” Ellis and Josh both agreed that the rights workshop was their favorite as it helped them understand what their basic rights were when encountering a police officer. The two of them did say that at each session they learned something different. Although their learning experience was great, their time and the seminar was not as eventful as they had hoped.

Ellis and Josh were asked if they would participate in the summit again and after some hesitation, Josh responded with a dragged out, “yes,” and Ellis nodded while saying that he “doesn’t regret it.” They also added that if a better opportunity showed itself they would take the new offer instead of attending the program. Both of them would recommend the summit to others but Ellis’s advice is to “do your research beforehand” so you can fully understand what it is about and what you are walking into. Ellis was recommended to go and Josh had heard about the conference on the announcements.

If you are looking for a new learning experience and a chance to meet new people as well as become a larger part of the community, the summit is a great opportunity to do all of the above. Ellis and Josh’s advice to Coronado’s student body is to “apply for scholarships” and as many as possible whenever given the chance. Remember to get out there and try new things because you never know how far it will get you in the long run.