The Importance of Creative Hobbies

Gabriel Maldonado, Staff Writer

For the average student, a creative hobby does not sound like a viable way to spend their time. We’re often caught up in homework, jobs, and family matters. Often, we have some sort of creative thing we want to do, but just assume it isn’t important and shouldn’t take up time in our busy schedules. However, according to Psychology Today, we “habitually waste time, creating the illusion of busyness” with the easy distractions of social media and television. Chances are, you do actually have time for a hobby. Side projects and creative tasks separate from work and school can improve your performance at school, in addition to your mood and stress levels.

According to a study by Kevin J. Eschleman that observed employees, positive results were associated with those that were known to have creative hobbies unrelated to work. Having a creative project or general hobby gives one a better sense of self and sense of control, decreasing stress levels so that focus comes easier. Creative projects or hobbies do not have to do with anything related to school or your future, and can be as simple as something small you enjoy. Pick something you find enjoyable and makes you feel relaxed.

Having a hobby helps you structure your time better as well, since encouraging to get normal work done faster and more efficiently in order to have time to work on your personal project. Being motivated to work on your hobby in turn makes school and your other responsibilities seem less daunting since you have something to look forward to afterwards.

Further, completing tasks related to your hobby provides a sense of accomplishment, and makes life seem less monotonous. If school seems to be weighing down on your shoulders, and you feel like life is the same, a hobby will change things up. Hobbies are controlled by you, so if you’re feeling bored you can research further into it and discover new aspects of it to alleviate feelings of monotony.

Psychology Today also suggests a concept called “flow”, or being enveloped in what you’re doing. In this state, time flies and self consciousness seems to fade away. “Flow” is something that can make you feel far more inspired and happy, and happens when you enjoy the challenges involved with a task you’re doing. Hobbies encourage this state to happen, since they involve challenges that are enjoyable. These challenges prove developmental for the self, allowing you to grow accustomed to approaching difficulty. Your new-found approach to challenge will make you less stressed out in the future when completing assignments for school or working on a job.

Having a creative hobby will increase your quality of life overall, reducing stress, boosting inspiration and time management, and improving opportunities to experience “flow”. Pick up something that interests you, whether you always wanted to paint, play an instrument, write, maybe garden, or anything in between. And if you find you don’t enjoy it, here’s the beauty: you can try something else! The best part about a hobby is that it is in your control, and no one else’s. So go out, get yourself a hobby.