Coronado’s Angels

Derek Hernandez, Staff Writer

Adjacent to Coronado High School lies a memorial to past Coronado teachers and students who have passed away known as the Holly Adams Park. Most students would recognize it as the place you wait during a fire drill or the place we walked through for science  one time. In actuality, within this park there are a plethora of plaques with names and pictures of those Coronado has lost, including Bob Hall, a former math teacher and assistant principal who sadly passed away from cancer 18 years ago. Walking through Holly Adams Park, you may notice most of the plaques are from many years ago. On this issue, Mr.Smith stated that “we really haven’t stopped doing it. We will still honor teachers and students who have passed away down there. We haven’t done anything lately, but that doesn’t mean we still won’t.”

Colorado Springs boy scout troops have gone through and cleaned the place up, building the bridge and many of the wooden fixtures, but that was nearly 2 years ago. Looking at the park today, it is very overrun with plant life and many of the plaques are vandalized or missing. To think that this memorial has been forgotten about would a simple assumption for anyone, but as Mr. Smith went down there himself, he expressed strong interest in cleaning the place up, going as far as saying, “I might even come in and weed wack a little this weekend”. Together, we took pictures of every plaque or name down there in order to find out more about the former students and teachers. The need for revitalizing in Holly Adams Park is necessary and will be a team effort, but I encourage Coronado faculty and students to take a walk to Holly Adams Park and honor Coronado’s angels.     

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Coronado’s Angels”

1. Jason on August 27th, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi, I’m from the class of 2006. I hope that the memorials are kept up to date and the park is kept clean. Did someone with the boys scouts tell you that they built the signs, flower boxes, steps, railing and bridge? Most all of that has been there for 10-20 years. When I was last there a few months ago the only improvements I saw were that the signs had been repainted the, railing improved and I believe the bridge had a fresher coat of stain. The bridge needed some maintaince but it was the same bridge I designed and help build almost 15 years ago. P.S. You will be able to find many pics of me in the year book including of the park and bridge on the Enviromental club page.

2. diana beatty on August 28th, 2018 6:02 am

Commented on Facebook fyi:

Jason Palo La Costa” The level of vandalism to the memorials is disheartening. I’m glad the park isn’t forgotten and people are caring for it. Quick correction though, the boyscouts did not build the bridge 2 years ago. I designed the bridge and helped build it in 2004/2005 as part of the Environmental Club.

There was also a comment asking who Holly Adams was.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Coronado’s Angels

Announcements

In State College Fair

• Coronado’s Angels

News

Passing of a Legend

• Coronado’s Angels

News

Cast Out of the Garden of…the Gods?

• Coronado’s Angels

News

In Need of Assistance

• Coronado’s Angels

News

Mr. DuBois Says Farewell to Coronado

• Coronado’s Angels

News

Michigan Football in France

• Coronado’s Angels

News

Climbing Octaves to the Top

• Coronado’s Angels

21st Century Issues

Raising Hands for Education

• Coronado’s Angels

Announcements

AP Exam Schedule 2018

• Coronado’s Angels

Announcements

The Coronado Theatre Department Presents

Coronado’s Angels