Godzilla: King of Monsters Speculations

Derek Hernandez, Staff Writer

Godzilla: King of the Monsters is the third movie planned by the Legendary Pictures Godzilla Cinematic Universe. On December 10th, the second trailer dropped for the movie, leaving fans with anticipation and theories.

This second trailer reveals a lot more of the plot, starting the same way the first did with actress Millie Bobby Brown listening to scanners and distress calls. The trailer instantly gets into the action, flashing frames of famous monsters such as Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah. The trailer from then on is built up of small clips from the movie, with each one taking the audience’s breath away.

The biggest thing about this style of editing is the director can add spoilers without the audience being able to tell. From evidence portrayed in the trailer, fans has speculated on the appearance of two very popular monsters. The first being the possible appearance of Anguirus, this would make a lot of sense seeing that Anguirus has been in the franchise since 1959, appearing as the first ever advisory to Godzilla. It also adds that Anguirus has teamed up with Rodan, Mothra, and Godzilla in the past to take down King Ghidorah before. It makes sense that they’d do it again. The second possible secret monster inclusion would be Kumonga. Kumonga hasn’t had that big of an impact on the series as a whole, but a reason for including Kumonga would be to give Mothra more of an enemy in the movie. Seeing that Kumonga is a giant spider, it would make sense to pin him up against the Goddess Mothra. A counter argument to Kumonga’s incidents would be Rodan, the firebird, who already acts as that adversary (Flying V. Flying), but I would counter this again, saying Rodan has a bigger purpose.

For only a couple of seconds in the trailer, we see a glowing red Godzilla. Now, new fans of the series might blow this off to Godzilla’s Atomic breath, but long time fans will know there were only two time in the series where Godzilla glowed red. In Godzilla vs Destroyah, Godzilla’s body became so radioactive he started burning inside until he exploded at the end of the movie. The second time was in Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla II, where Rodan gave up his life power to give to Godzilla, giving Godzilla his Spiral Heat Ray ability.

I believe that Rodan will again do this in the upcoming movie to allow Godzilla to defeat King Ghidorah.

This is all speculation, seeing that only two trailers have been released for the movie. We will just have to wait May 31st to find out.