Ally Week: the Need for Inclusion

Mohss Elaine, Co-Editor-in-Chief

High school poses some serious questions, all in a very short matter of time. “Will I fit in?” “Who wants to be my friend?” “Will I be accepted?” are all common, but never really spoken about, especially among the students themselves. Some begin to question their identities, what they like, what they don’t.

For some, this is as simple as talking to new people, and taking an interest in different hobbies. For many, however, this can be a time of absolute confusion and can make or break many relationships, in and out of school. Many people grow to realize that they’re changing from what they were before, whether that be their gender, their sexuality, or many different aspects of their identity. Becoming part of the lgbt+ community can create challenges for those who may not know that they have a support system, so being sure that they have a welcoming environment is key to their full potential. 

Created by GLSEN, Ally Week is an event made to encourage allies of the lgbt+ community to support their peers, and lift those who may otherwise be discouraged from being themselves. Being an ally can mean everything to someone who is marginalized, to know that they are accepted and appreciated in different spaces, to know that at the very least, one of their peers is looking out for them. 

This year, Ally Week will take place from September 23 to September 27. The event is made to ensure that the marginalized identities of our peers are recognized and respected by others. Allyship is an act of respect and integration into your life that takes place every day. 

Being an ally can take on many different forms, but there are some key components to welcoming others into your space. If you’re not well-acquainted with these kinds of acts, try asking people their pronouns, if they’re comfortable with you using them, and using them when you speak to them or about them. 

Exclusion is a difficult subject to deal with, especially those who are ostracised for aspects of their identity that they cannot control. If you see these types of actions, speak out. Don’t get into a physical or verbal altercation by any means, but if you think it’s severe, tell a counselor. 

At Coronado, we are lucky to have such a wonderful GSA (Gender/Sexuality Alliance) that is meant to foster the diverse people of our high school’s community. The GSA hosts movie nights (such as “Love, Simon” on September 19!) The club is always looking for more members, so please contact either me ([email protected]) or Mrs. Jacobs in room 214. 

Have fun during Ally Week, and remember to respect your peers and offer a warm welcome to those around you! Be the change you want to see at Coronado!