First Home Meet Goes Swimmingly

Backstrokers+take+to+the+water+at+the+first+home+meet+against+Doherty++

Backstrokers take to the water at the first home meet against Doherty

Maddy Morland, Staff Writer

At their first home meet of the season, the Cougars trounced Doherty, and ended the night with a score of 136 to the Spartan’s 47.

This weekend, the Cougars competed at their second large meet of the season and once again placed fourth, this time out of 12 teams from around the state. It’s thanks to performances like this one that Coronado has climbed to an impressive 5th place in CHSAA rankings. “We all support each other… and, for a lot of our first or second year swimmers, the older and more experienced swimmers will watch them swim and give them tips and pointers on how to go faster in the water,” said freshman Adam Austin when asked about the strengths of the team.

Thus far, the team has qualified ten swimmers, and Talon Turman, 11, who dives for the team. Austin, the latest qualifier, says of his 100 backstroke qualification, “I feel really good about it but I’m pretty nervous because I’m going to be competing against…the greatest high school swimmers in the state” adding “I’m just happy to be able to have the chance to get to that level and compete as a freshman.”

Congratulations to Adam and all the other state qualifiers! Come out and support the boys tonight when they compete against Liberty at Coronado!