Prom Assembly and Fashion Show

Dylan Gordon, 12, smiles as he grabs his partner, Katrice Whites, hand.

Dylan Gordon, 12, smiles as he grabs his partner, Katrice White’s, hand.

Tiffany Jacquez, Staff Writer

On 4/18, the rescheduled 2016-2017 prom fashion show, that was delayed due to a snow day, began as part of Coronado’s prom assembly.

The event began with the recognition of Jimmy “the dream” Weaver, Coronado’s 4th Wrestling State Champion, and his Coach, Coronado social studies teacher, Mr. Burak, who was Coronado’s first.

Later: the fashion show. The fashion show’s participants, all seniors, included Auna Aho and Ryan Mares, Lauren Hugill and Alex Bumpus, Dylan Gordon and Katrice White, Lance Coleman (substituted for by Ben Gonzales) and Alese Abitia.  The show included theatrical routines performed by the court couples: Gordon and White acted out pitching and hitting an imaginary ball with a red, plastic baseball bat, and Gonzales, Coleman’s substitute, sweeping Abitia off her feet.

“The show was such a fun experience. Volunteers from the Paul Mitchell beauty school did our hair and makeup, and we laughed and talked and later had pizza…I really liked my dress, although it was a little poofy at the bottom,” said Alese Abitia.

Later, 2016-17 Student Body President Tegan Gough provided further information about Prom Night. Prom tickets will be sold for $45 through April 3-27 at the Business Office and during lunch hours. The dance itself will be a Moroccan Night theme and will be on April 29, 8 to 11 PM, in Manitou Springs at the Briarhurst.