Arrows in the Hallways

A new addition to this already confusing and difficult school year is the arrows that supposedly guide traffic in the hallways. With these new additions many have to adapt the new one way paths in hallways which may include walking in the opposite direction that one may need to go. So what is the purpose of these arrows?

Maycie Rogers, Staff Writer

In order to achieve the safest possible way of transportation and to accommodate the D11 health guidelines for returning to learning it is stated in the guidelines that “Hallways will be divided to accommodate flow of traffic on each side of the hallway.” The red tape that outlines all the hallways throughout the school and directs traffic is in order to prevent the usual crowded, shoulder to shoulder hallways that students were used to before Covid happened. Gracie Nowlan’s (12) opinion on the lines is that “Although at times it may be a challenge, the tape is important for our safety and health regulation.” With these new pathways around school, the one-way hallways may prove to be a challenge to the student population. In cases many students, coming from the tech building, for example, have to walk all the way around from the back of the building in order to get to other classes. This at times may be slightly annoying especially when it is cold outside but in the end if this is what keeps us in school longer. One other challenge that may pose a problem is to the underclassmen at the school. Especially the freshman or those who are new to school. With more than 3 buildings finding classrooms can be confusing but with one way stairways and hallways being able to locate the exact classroom while finding the right route can be an arduous process. Kallie Rogers (9) states that at first finding a classroom “was very challenging especially the ones that were on different levels in the main building” and when Kallie had finally learned the system the problem that she found was being able to arrive at classes on time. “What would take me a flight of stairs and one turn to get to a class now takes me a lap around the building up an opposing staircase, and because of this I have to run to class just to make it in time”. The arrows in hallways can come with some annoying quirks that force us to walk a little faster or further in order to get to another class, but with all things considered with masks and the hybrid schedule arrows in the hallways may seem like a small burden in order to keep us safe.