Homecoming Varsity Football Game

Shea Ward, Staff Writer

After the hard fought homecoming football game, the Cougars eventually lost to Liberty in their closest loss of the season, 8-7.  Though the game was not won, there were some outstanding plays, Marquis Arrington, 12,  had one touchdown, 200 rushing yards and 23 carries. Toby Smith, 10, had 74 passing yards and Ryan Strabala, 12, had 18 tackles. The night, though not ideal in the end, was filled with excitement.

“Coronado! Coronado! Coronad-O!”The crowd at the game was definitely supportive, and showed great school spirit. A group of at least 50 students wearing red and gold led and participated in all cheers, demonstrating awesome school pride. At halftime came a performance from the cheerleaders and the introduction of Coronado’s homecoming court, freshmen nominees Faith Roth and Weston Rubio, the Sophomore nominees Clara Thompson and Tobiah Smith, Junior nominees Marley Thomas and Tyler Micci and Senior nominees Anisah Aragon, Amelia Chromy, Isabel Fogle, Faith Shea, Kaira Smith, Marquis Arrington, Zachary Gerber, Stanton Rubio, Ryan Strabala, and Troy Sudduth. The King and Queen for this year’s Homecoming were Zach Gerber and Faith Shea.

The second half of the game had a lot of action as the score reached 8-7 Liberty. The team played hard and the crowd cheered louder. Not even a loss could break the Cougar’s school spirit. In the last 10 minutes of the game, the crowd cheered out “I believe that we will win!” and Justin Dwinnel ran in a touchdown that unfortunately got flagged by the referees. The night was eventful and exciting as Coronado students came together and showed their loyalty for the school. The game may have been lost, but spirits remained high.