The Cougar Daily

• Coronado State Testing - April 16, juniors arrive at 7:40 and sophomores at 11:30 - April 17, freshman arrive at 7:40 and juniors arrive at 11:30 for CMAS
  • Coronado band receives $35,000 grant to refurbish their band room
  • Juniors/Sophomores take the SAT/PSAT on April 16th, Freshmen take the PSAT and Juniors take the CMAS on April 17.
  • Space Symposium Happening at the Broadmoor Hotel: Space Companies and Organizations Meet from All Over the World to Display What's Happening in the Space Industry and Collaborate

The Cougar Daily

The Cougar Daily

Polls

What do you call them?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Why is Sleep so Important for Teens?

Why is Sleep so Important for Teens?

Why is sleep so important for teenagers? Sleep is important for teens because enough sleep can help improve concentration and academic performance; sleep can also help increase students’ focus during school hours. Sleep can also improve memory and cognition, which can help students not only learn but remember what they were taught at school.

The recommended amount of sleep by the CDC for ages 6-12 is 9-12 hours per 24 hours, and for ages 13-18, the recommended amount is 8-10 hours per 24 hours. In middle school 57.8% of students did not get enough sleep, in high school, 72.7% did not get enough sleep during the school week.

Lack of sleep has been linked to depression, risk-taking behavior, and suicide. Without enough sleep, students may lose their ability to make good decisions and control their behavior and emotions. Little sleep can be a leading cause of more anxiety which can make it harder for students to make more friends, ask questions in class, and talk in front of a class or teacher for a presentation which may affect the students’ grades. Leilani Yeager, Class of 2025 said, “ Getting enough sleep is super important for me so I’m able to pay attention in class instead of being tired the entire time and trying to stay awake, I also have much less anxiety about a test when I get enough sleep the night before.”

How does sleep affect a teen’s physical health? When sleeping the body releases hormones that repair tissues and cells, help build muscle, and aid growth. When students are asleep their body carries out many different important tasks and functions. Getting enough sleep can also help fight diseases and improve immunity. When students are tired, they lack the motivation to do anything, which may cause high blood pressure, obesity, depression, heart disease, and many other health issues. Tucker Sansbury, Class of 2025, said, “Getting more sleep helps me stay more motivated to be physically active during the day.”

View Comments (1)