The Cougar Daily

• AP Testing Starts Next Week!
  • Three Coronado Cougars in top 18 for 800m Run in 4A; Xzavier Campos, Parker Davidson, and Eisen Dacus
  • Coronado Wins The Cougar Classic with 99 points!
  • Advanced Acting Showcase moved to May 11th, 2023 @7:00pm

The Cougar Daily

The Cougar Daily

Polls

What do you call them?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

South I-25 Shutdown After Train Derailment

On October 16, 2023, around 10 a.m. Colorado State Patrol (CSP) got a call that a train near southern I-25 north of Pueblo derailed and had scattered 6-7 cars full of coal all on North and Southbound I-25 with serious damage to the bridge near mile marker 107.

As well as the call about the derailment CSP went to the scene and the driver of a semi-truck was found dead in his truck from the debris. According to CSP, the semi-truck was headed north from Pueblo to Colorado Springs before getting trapped under the bridge and dying from his conditions.

I talked to Christopher Vazquez, Class of 2024, about the train derailment happening the day after state tennis and he responded, “Once I saw it on the news, I was terrified. One person died as well as a lot of people getting caught up in traffic, and I’m so lucky it didn’t hit us.”
    If drivers are south of Fountain headed south, CSP suggests drivers to take exit 110 towards Overton, but if you are traveling from Colorado Springs, CSP says to take CO-115 to HWY-50 towards Pueblo. Traveling Northbound, however, take HWY-50 to CO-115.