The Cougar Daily

• AP Testing Starts Next Week!
  • Three Coronado Cougars in top 18 for 800m Run in 4A; Xzavier Campos, Parker Davidson, and Eisen Dacus
  • Coronado Wins The Cougar Classic with 99 points!
  • Advanced Acting Showcase moved to May 11th, 2023 @7:00pm

The Cougar Daily

The Cougar Daily

Polls

What do you call them?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Colorado Springs Rainfall, Could this Lead to a Downfall?

Mavey Tellup
Weiner Dog, Charlie Brown, Running Through the Snow

Colorado Springs has recently received a lot of rainfall with this being the second most rain Colorado has had since 1872. In 2023, Colorado ended the last year with 25.47 inches of rainfall. On March 14th, 2024, the Springs received 0.6 inches. Colorado’s rainfall has increased by 34.5% since 2022!

Is this much rain in Colorado good? Daniel Smith, Coronado substitute science teacher with a bachelor’s degree in environmental health, states, “It is nice; It keeps heat down and it makes more cloud coverage plus more water reserves.” Colorado gains much from the rain, but with an improvement to the city’s rainfall preparedness, potential risk could be mitigated.

Mr. Smith discussed problems to solve: “Colorado’s infrastructure was not built for this much rainfall, and if Colorado continues with this pattern this could cause a lot of landslides, because we have drier land.” Though it may be costly, Colorado’s community can improve the infrastructure to accommodate larger amounts of rainfall.

The solution Mr. Smith suggested could help: “If Colorado could upgrade its infrastructure and find a way to prevent landslides, Colorado will be a rain safe state.” With better engineering for landslide prevention, Colorado will be able to fully benefit from rain without the negative consequences.