The Cougar Daily

• AP Testing Starts Next Week!
  • Three Coronado Cougars in top 18 for 800m Run in 4A; Xzavier Campos, Parker Davidson, and Eisen Dacus
  • Coronado Wins The Cougar Classic with 99 points!
  • Advanced Acting Showcase moved to May 11th, 2023 @7:00pm

The Cougar Daily

The Cougar Daily

Polls

What do you call them?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Nicki Minaj and Megan Thee Stallion: The Drama Between Two Singers

In the midst of cultural drama, one story has stood out in social media recently: Megan’s Thee Stallions new hit ‘HISS’ that has a diss towards Nicki Minaj saying, “These h**s aren’t mad at Megan, These h**s mad at Megan’s Law,” which was a direct jab towards Nicki Minaj.

Within 24 hours of the song’s release, Nicki replied on X (formerly Twitter) telling Megan to “conjure up her mother” and then released a song “Big Foot” mocking Megan’s height, weight, body type, and her deceased mother. Nicki raps, “This little begging wh**e, talking ’bout Megan’s law” and “she like six foot, I call her big foot,” and last but not least, “this little piggy toxic, somebody adopt it.”

Mia Smith, Class of 2026, a Coronado student, and a Stallion fan, disagrees with how each of the artists treats each other: “I think both parties went really far with how they both treated each other.” She also wishes to see the two get along and make music together instead of fighting: “If I could choose though I would prefer for them to be friends together.” If only the harmony these two made in “Hot Girl Summer” could live once again.

Brooklyn Lewis, Class of 2027, disagrees with how Nicki had spoken to Megan but defends Nicki’s actions: “Yes, I do understand Nicki replied so rudely but. . . I’m not a big fan of Megan’s music in the first place so my opinion will be biased.” So, all this drama causes a rift between the artists, but what is Megan’s Law? Megan’s Law is a U.S. law stipulating that authorities must make information available to the public regarding sex offenders. The law was made due to the death of Megan Kanka.

Megan Kanka was an 8-year-old girl who had been raped and murdered by her neighbor Jesse Timmendequas, He was a convicted sex offender on their street no one had known about his actions before. The rape and murder could have been prevented if the family had known the things he had done, so therefore law had been established.

Knowing what Megan’s Law is, how is it related to Nicki? Nicki Minaj’s husband Kenneth petty was found guilty of the sexual assault of Jennifer Hough. The Economic Times, states, “Kenneth Petty has a history of convictions, including a 1995 conviction for attempted rape of a 16-year-old girl, and a recent probation violation for failing to register as a sex offender in California in 2020.” In the end both parties are in the wrong.

Not everyone can be in the right, but, as people, we pick what seems right. Brooklynn Lewis expressed her thoughts, saying, “I think Megan is in the wrong. . . Megan spoke in a crude manner.” Crude or not Nicki did not have to go as far to say, “lying on your dead momma” or “conjure up your mom,” to Megan, whose mom had recently passed.

Mia Smith hopes to see friendship because there would be less drama, they make good music, and together they could make a great rap group: “They are both good artists and if they were friends, the songs they would make together would be top tier.”

The ongoing feud between Megan Thee Stallion and Nicki Minaj has captured the attention of many on social media. While fans like Mia Smith hope for reconciliation and a return to the collaboration seen in “Hot Girl Summer,” opinions on the matter vary. Some, like Brooklyn Lewis, feel that both artists went too far with their words, while others point out the deeply personal nature of the insults exchanged. As the drama unfolds, maybe one day the artists can reconcile and create music again. It is worth remembering the origins of Megan’s Law and its significance in relation to the broader conversation.