The Cougar Daily

• Coronado State Testing - April 16, juniors arrive at 7:40 and sophomores at 11:30 - April 17, freshman arrive at 7:40 and juniors arrive at 11:30 for CMAS
  • Coronado band receives $35,000 grant to refurbish their band room
  • Juniors/Sophomores take the SAT/PSAT on April 16th, Freshmen take the PSAT and Juniors take the CMAS on April 17.
  • Space Symposium Happening at the Broadmoor Hotel: Space Companies and Organizations Meet from All Over the World to Display What's Happening in the Space Industry and Collaborate

The Cougar Daily

The Cougar Daily

Polls

What do you call them?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Senior Scholarship Opportunities

Garden of Gods Chipotle where fundraiser was held.

Senior scholarships offer a gateway to future opportunities for new adults, which does not happen very often. Coronado High School is holding a fundraiser at Chipotle down the street from the school, on Commerce and Garden of the Gods, it is a fundraiser to help raise money to give to seniors after they graduate. This is the first of its kind for Coronado seniors and we are hoping to raise as much as possible so we can give as much as possible. This event was held on Wednesday, December 6th at Chipotle which requires customers to order online, or in-store and provide the code on our school website (QKLWKYV) and let them know you are there to support Coronado.

Earlier this week I sat down with the Principal of Coronado Ms. Adareine Arnell and asked her a few questions on what we have done in the past as well as where we are going in the future and goals for seniors. I asked her about the ways students could make themselves more appealing to whoever picks the students who receive money: “It’s a panel of about 7 or so teachers that revolves through the years that choose students for the scholarships and how much, seniors that receive these scholarships just need to continue to help people and be active in the school community and continue to show up for school.”

There have been other ways in which the school has received money to give to seniors, Ms. Arnell explains, “Coronado in the past has had many ways of receiving the senior scholarship money as for years prior Pepsi would give us a chunk of change which we would use as our senior scholarship money, as well as teachers would give, or the district would give money. But as far as I know, this is the first time we are doing a restaurant fundraiser to raise money for the senior scholarships.” There are other ways that seniors can get money from the school and other scholarships. “The Hope Scholarship given closer to the end of the year is a scholarship where students can apply via an essay or an art portfolio or even a video that explains and shows how they have helped others in the past and how they will continue to do that in the future as well as why they deserve the scholarship. This scholarship is larger with only a handful of applicants receiving them but can be for any reason, going to trade school or trying to start a business.”

These scholarships are given to seniors as they are venturing into adulthood and could help them no matter what they plan on doing, whether it be starting a business or going to school.