The Cougar Daily

• Coronado State Testing - April 16, juniors arrive at 7:40 and sophomores at 11:30 - April 17, freshman arrive at 7:40 and juniors arrive at 11:30 for CMAS
  • Coronado band receives $35,000 grant to refurbish their band room
  • Juniors/Sophomores take the SAT/PSAT on April 16th, Freshmen take the PSAT and Juniors take the CMAS on April 17.
  • Space Symposium Happening at the Broadmoor Hotel: Space Companies and Organizations Meet from All Over the World to Display What's Happening in the Space Industry and Collaborate

The Cougar Daily

The Cougar Daily

Polls

What do you call them?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

“Donations for Donuts”: An Exchange Student’s Clothing Drive for Unsheltered Community Is Taking Place on Campus

Aliya with the donations box that is located in the Counseling

“Donations for Donuts” is a personal project of one of the exchange students at Coronado – Aliya Kozhasseitova, Class of 2025, is putting on that helps support unsheltered individuals in the community.
The project started last week on Monday, February 5th and will take place throughout the month of February; the last day for bringing donations is March 1st.
Students and staff had been informed through morning announcements, newsletters, and posters in the school hallways that donations can include new or slightly used warm clothes such as hats, scarfs, sweaters, gloves, and others that should be donated to one of the brightly colored boxes in the Main Office, Counseling Office and Administration Office.
Students who bring donations can write down their first and last names on a piece of paper and put it in the envelope that adults at the desk have in order to participate in a drawing. Students selected in the drawing will receive a donut with a prize.
Aliya came up with the idea for her project after going to one of the conferences from her host organization, since creating a project that would benefit people and give back to community was one of the main goals of that conference.
She contacted and got involved a number of people while creating this project that included Mrs. Arnell, Mr. Eden and Mukhlisa Kodirova, Class of 2024, who was one of the students supporting Aliya throughout all the stages of the project by donating and organizing advertising. As Mukhlisa mentioned, “by supporting Aliya and her project I have met new people and gained new experiences,” which is important for high school students to make them more aware and accepting of different people in the community.
One of the other people who helped and supported Aliya is one of the school counselors, Mr. Eden, who thinks that the main value of the project is “to give back to the local community,” which is “a definite need in Colorado Springs area at this point.” Mr. Eden contributed to the project by organizing the placement of the box in the counseling, contacting administration, and advertising the project to parents and students through Schoology announcements.

View Comments (1)