The Cougar Daily

• Coronado State Testing - April 16, juniors arrive at 7:40 and sophomores at 11:30 - April 17, freshman arrive at 7:40 and juniors arrive at 11:30 for CMAS
  • Coronado band receives $35,000 grant to refurbish their band room
  • Juniors/Sophomores take the SAT/PSAT on April 16th, Freshmen take the PSAT and Juniors take the CMAS on April 17.
  • Space Symposium Happening at the Broadmoor Hotel: Space Companies and Organizations Meet from All Over the World to Display What's Happening in the Space Industry and Collaborate

The Cougar Daily

The Cougar Daily

Polls

What do you call them?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

To Work or Not Work? That is the Question: The Pros and Cons of Working as a Teenager

The truth is everybody loves money, especially teenagers. As teens, we love to be able to buy clothes, games, and food. The often sought out answer to this is having a job.

Many young individuals are turned away from working a job. Understandably, it’s a daunting experience; more-so, it’s a new experience. Many say it’s the first door to the real world. With that being said, many will find they earn a lot more than money when they’re working.

Having a job is a great opportunity for teens to build crucial social skills. Dylan Washburn, Class of 2025, a current employee at Subway, said, “I think it’s important because it builds a work ethic early in life and it makes you financially independent.” A great work ethic and financial independence are two important skills that many will carry for the rest of their lives.

Working can also greatly improve one’s career status later in life. In fact, a study from Employment Policies Institute, an organization studying financials, says, “For a young adult in high school at the turn of the millennium, 20 hours per week of part-time work in their senior year resulted in annual earnings that were 20 percent higher 6-9 years after graduation, as compared to their fellow students who didn’t work.” This study proves that the chances of financial success later in life are greatly heightened if someone works while they’re younger.

Without a doubt, for many, working as a teen is a great experience with crucial benefits, but it can come with its downsides. Further, it can be very physically and mentally draining for young individuals.

Nobody wants to hear it but working a job often eliminates a teen’s free time. A large part of maintaining a job is balancing school, social life, and hobbies. The most challenging part for some is keeping up with school, especially if a student is taking advanced classes with extensive homework.

Mr. Cox, Cybrarian, said, “I missed out on a lot of school activities like high school sports and most of my friends were the people I worked with.”

Ultimately, it really comes down to if one can manage their time and what they can fit into their schedule.