The Cougar Daily

• AP Testing Starts Next Week!
  • Three Coronado Cougars in top 18 for 800m Run in 4A; Xzavier Campos, Parker Davidson, and Eisen Dacus
  • Coronado Wins The Cougar Classic with 99 points!
  • Advanced Acting Showcase moved to May 11th, 2023 @7:00pm

The Cougar Daily

The Cougar Daily

Polls

What do you call them?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Airforce Academy Wildfire Update

Airforce Academy Wildfire Update

A wildfire was confirmed in Airforce Academy on Sunday, February 26, which started on the south end of the Airforce academy. USAFA has contained the wildfire and “The Airforce department and the academy have a mutual firefighting agreement that allows them to come together as partners in crises like this,” according to Airforcetimes. Firefighters all around Colorado came to help contain the fire. The wildfire is no longer spreading but there are some hot spots.

75% of the fire was contained that same day, and water drops were frequently made on the affected land. The academy had 3 helicopter water drops over the fire to help put it to a stop; they also had two brush trucks, and two CH-47 Chinooks dropped 14,000 gallons of water on the wildfire. Pre-evacuation orders were released that Sunday, but academy residents were told to not evacuate.

Collaborating with multiple federal fire agencies, this fire presented a threat on many of the surrounding structures. Post incident reports have confirmed that there was only slight damage and “Our wildland fire team played a pivotal role in the response effort” said Birgit Landin, a Community Education Specialist Sr. of Colorado Springs Utilities.